In Loving Memory: Skinny Jeans



Maybe I'm buying into some consumerist shit, instead of trusting my own style instincts, but when Vogue announced that the skinny jean trend were no longer, a little part of me panicked.

Yes, it's slightly sad and say what you will, but when you have a curvy shape like mine, buying jeans is something of a self-conscious torture.

In retrospective, the death of this trend has been a long time coming. I guess the desperate part of me hoped that I could squeeze some more time out of these narrow legged trousers. Nonetheless, I'm a grown woman, and like all things associated with a ex boyfriend -- you must move on. But where to start?

Call me old-fashioned, but my love affair with skinny jeans began back in 2007. My first pair of tube-legged denims were a pair of reduced high waisted MOTO Red Leigh Jeans, and before you even think about judging me, this was when Nu-Rave was a thing and dressing like a professional dickhead was cool. Plus, Kate Moss wore them, and that was good enough for me.

Whilst I can look back and cringe at my bright red Leigh's, the trouser style became embedded into my wardrobe. My backside looked good, and my legs appeared long. Shopping for jeans became much easier. These jeans are also a garment that you can wear casually, but then throw on a pair of heels and head into town, not to mention the utter convince of wearing black skinny's when you're working in the hospitality industry. Whatever the reason, skinny jeans just suited.

As time moved on, so did fashion. It was when my beloved skinny jeans suddenly became fashionable to be worn with the knees cut out, that I thought this trend was really struggling to think of ways to stay relevant. The step too far came when high street brands were selling distressed denim at a cost of the factory workers health. Enough was enough.


Bound for the bin
I'm sure there's many girls, and men for that matter, who like me own a favourite pair of jeans. But once your back pockets have dissolved into frayed threads and you're giving the public a show of your delicates on the daily, it's time to say au revoir.

For me the thought of looking for a replacement pair, never mind a whole other trend which complimented my backside as much as the skinny jeans did, was going to be like this. It might sound over-dramatic but the grief process definitely followed, not because I was so utterly distraught that the skinny jean was dead, but because every pair of MOM jeans I tried on made me feel like a troll.

Androgynous and relaxed shapes are in. Unfortunately, not only were these jeans totally unflattering on me, but I couldn't get my head around the fact that my parents wore these jeans in the 90s, and former president Obama wears on the regular.


Style tips from Obama
Aside from my skinny dungarees, I have been sadly searching for a pair of MOM-esque jeans for about a year and a half, but alas, determination paid off. Last week, slightly sleep deprived from university assignments, I tried on a pair of black Orson Jeans at Topshop last week. A fusion of the MOM and skinny, they sat perfectly on mu curves and didn't make me feel like I was a character in Three Billy Goats Gruff.


The top half fits like a skinny, and has a bit of stretch denim but features a nice thickness like the MOM jean
The ankle has a loose fit
I know it may be a long post about something so inconsequential, but with any eulogy, you just want to say your goodbye's respectfully.

Fashion is a system of recycling trends. I don't doubt that skinny jeans will become pertinent again, but until next time, my Orson's will keep me warmed up for you.

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig